On Halloween I was working in the evening (more on my second job at a later time) taking stock and then got a phone call. It seems that Danny had taken the ferry over to Ireland and was looking for direction. As I was at work, I wasn't able to provide him with information. I wouldn't have been able to anyway, since I have never taken the ferry before. So it was a short conversation with me asking him to call back in a bit. I felt so bad. Anyway, I finished work and then went home, deciding to go downstairs and have a drink with my neighbour. As we were about to crack a beer, Danny called again. It seems as though he made it to the bus station and didn't know what to do. Knowing exactly where he was, I went to go meet him.
James and I arrived to the bus station and there was Danny. It is always nice to see someone you know. This is the third person so far. One happened during my little hiatus – Julia from St Thomas was in town and we went for dinner and a pint. Anyway, knowing he had no clue where to go, we walked with him to get him into a hostel. I felt awful, but I couldn't put him up in my apartment. There just wasn't any room and I didn't want to spring that on the roomates. But I made up for it by taking him out for his first Irish Guinness.
So we had a few beers and chatted about impressions of Europe (and some words that have been sneaking into my vocabulary without my noticing), people back home, and travelling. I encouraged him to not just stay in Dublin and he agreed, deciding to check out some other places as well. Soon enough I had to call it a night and get to bed because of work in the morning. It was a nice calm walk home.
The following day I worked both my jobs (more on that later) and even went to my second job 30 minutes before I needed to. Whoops. But that ended up meaning that I could get off half an hour early so I did that and met up with Danny for some more pints. I find that the colder it gets here in Dublin, the more I have been drinking. I mean, there isn't a whole lot of other ways to be social here so you go to the pub. It's just normal. I suppose moderation is key but it's easily overlooked. Anyway, I took him to some of my favourite places. One of which is a bar that I don't even know the name of, but it's like someone's living room at a really awesome house party. Danny was saying he wished there was somewhere like it in Halifax and mentioned Tribecca. That made me a little homesick, I am not going to lie. I can't help but think about how I will be when I return to Halifax. I mean, even if I returned now things would be very different. I am very different. But that is only five months. Imagine what another year and a half will do. And it will be that long at least. Its interesting to think about anyway. So again, I bid Danny farewell for the evening after a few too many drinks and went off only to wake up again way too soon.
The following day I got a text message saying that he had gone to Killarney and other places and would be back by Sunday. Tuesdays are my insane busy days as of late, so that was just as well with me. See, as I mentioned before, I now have a second job. At Lush. Amazing. As any of you who know me know, I freaking love that store. So I was beyond happy when I managed to land the job. It's only temporary Christmas staff but hopefully (fingers crossed) I will be able to stay on. So usually I work three evenings there and still get my weekends off. Really, it is a perfect situation. Could not ask for more. And they let me take Tuesdays as my Oxfam volunteering day, so I haven't had to give that up either. Lately there has been training at Lush in the evenings on Tuesday so I usually end up with an extremely long, full and tiring day. But keeping busy is keeping me out of trouble for the most part, so I can't really complain. Also has been keeping me from updating the blog and for that I am really sorry. There has been some amazing things that have happened, too. But I'll just have to flash back to those.
Anyway, Tuesday and Wednesday were just kind of business as usual. Work, home, sleep. And not get up in the morning. I have been finding it harder and harder to do exactly that when it is so cold and so dark in the morning. Yuck. I need to break that habit. On Thursday I was meeting a guy I met the weekend before for a drink. I met him at a Halloween party that Simon and I attended. We had painted our faces up as Day of the Dead skulls and went to this nice apartment that one of his coworkers lived in. I saw John there and immediately talked to him. He was dressed as a lumberjack, so of course I would feel drawn to him, eh? HAHA. Anyway, we had made plans to get together for a drink and I was a little nervous because I knew he wouldn't recognize me. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I wasn't sure I would recognize him. It was almost like a blind date. But I went out for it anyway. What's the harm, right? It turned out to be a good evening with a nice guy. Will I see him again? Yeah, probably. But I'm not going to get ahead of myself, either.
Friday was pretty low key. Just kept to myself mostly and went to bed early. Saturday Danny came back into town and we walked around a bit. He wanted authentic sheppard's pie, so we made it a mission to get him some. I figured the best place would be Temple Bar, and I was right. On special, too. After lunch we walked around town, getting caught in a typical downpour and showing him my apartment. It was my roomate's birthday that night and he was having a party. I was pretty stoked about it, but in the end I was so tried I just hid out in my room. Which sucked, because I did want to be social, but at the same time just did not feel up to it. Complicated.
On Sunday Danny and I decided to do a walk around again. This time we just went wherever and I had no clue where we were. But it was fine. We saw a lot of swans and sunshine and finally signs that directed us back to the city centre. When we got back I decided to offer my washing machine for him to do a load and save some Euros. While the clothes were being washed, we walked around more, going past the University where I work and heading into the Museum of Natural History. Also known as the dead zoo. You can guess what that place is like. And yet, people insist on taking their kids there on the weekend. So creepy. We walked around more and then headed back to my place when the rain started in again. Had a couple of Mooseheads and then Danny's laundry was done. We walked back to the hostel and said goodbye. I headed to bed not long after getting home.
Thank you Denise, it is always nice to see your blogs especially the pictures. Rose told me you had one posted again and look forward to some of your flash backs as well.
ReplyDelete