Jun 21, 2010

Week 4

I can't believe that soon it will be a whole month I have been here! I do have to say that I feel good about all that I have managed to accomplish in just a month.

So I got the job that I interviewed for! It is so great because apparently they chose me based on how they thought I would fit in with the rest of the staff and they had quite a few more options than even the agency knew! It made me feel pretty great. I found this out Tuesday and then Wednesday I went in. What a hectic environment! What is going on at the moment is a seminar, so usually it is not that busy. But Wednesday through Friday was pretty intense. Essentially I work as a receptionist who also is responsible for a variety of other duties. I really enjoy it because it is a university type atmosphere but it isn't always stuffy and academic. And on my first day I found out that Seamus Heaney was coming in for a poetry reading the following evening. Wow. I studied him in Irish Lit and it was just such an amazing idea that he would be at my place of work. (Unfortunately I was not able to attend the reading as it was by “invite only”. I suppose I could have gotten an invite, but I didn't really feel like being a hassle on my second day of work)

I work in O'Connell House. Self explanitory.

The only downfall of this job at the moment is that it is only part time. But they do close for a month in July and the early part of August, so I figure that is the best time for me to perhaps explore Ireland a little more. Then after that I will look for another part time job for some evenings and weekends. Make some more money and keep me out of trouble. The girls today were even saying that there is a French Centre not far from work where they have a cafe that is open late. Since I speak French they thought maybe it would be a good second job for me. I will definitely check it out, but I am a little nervous as my speaking level isn't as great as it should be. But hey, it can give me some much needed practice, right?

This week there was also an international Street Performer festival happening in the park right across from my work. I met my roommate Marco there after work to check out some of the performances. Nothing amazing. Pretty much on par with the Busker's Festival back home, but it was still nice to have something free to do and sit in the park. The weather was unusually nice this week as well, which was a nice change from no sun and all clouds.

Pretty intense juggling act.

I went out Friday with Mur and her friends. I got too drunk and spent too much money. Went to some great little pubs, though. Really. I enjoyed the places we went and generally had a good time. But as with all nights of excessive drinking I do hope that I did not alienate any of the friendships I seem to be forging thus far.

Everyone at the Pub

Drunken snack - IN STYROFOAM!!!!

Another reason why I didn't really want to drink that much the night before was that this week is Pride Week in Dublin and there was a Historical Gay Walking Tour happening on Saturday. I was so hungover, but I managed to drag myself out of bed and get presentable for it. Which I am really glad I did as it was very informative. See, Ireland is in the midst of the gay marriage battle which I was actually rather surprised to learn (then not so surprised as abortion is still illegal here, so what was I really expecting?). I was also surprised to learn that homosexuality as an act actually only became legal here in 1993! That seems like not so long ago (although I suppose it was still technically legal to rape your wife in Canada until 1983 so I shouldn't be so quick to judge). What I really liked about the tour was that the man who was talking about different things that happened was actually present for many of the events, as the whole gay rights movement in Ireland is not that old. It really was truly a fascinating tour.

The Guides


On the tour I got to talking to a boy who was complaining of a hangover. We instantly bonded over that. His name was Brian and he is a 21 year old freelance makeup artist. He is so Irish. His way of speaking, his way of drinking and his way of smoking. He was a great laugh. He told me about his family and how his aunt was a lesbian and his cousin was gay. I guess his whole family is extremely supportive of the whole movement and on the day of the Pride Parade his grandmother makes a huge Irish breakfast, complete with beer, and then they all head out to watch it. I thought that was such an amazing story. When the tour was over he asked me if I wanted to go “for a cure” (which is a beer or some sort of alcohol when you are hungover). We went to a gay bar, got a pint and sat outside in the sun. It was gorgeous.


There was also a bike race going on outside of my apartment that day. I guess it was part of international bike week. I was pretty impressed and had a nice chat with one of the volunteers.


The next day I let myself sleep in a little and then made my way back to the Street Performers Festival. It was crazy crowded and really sunny. I took in an act from Quebec City and some break dancers from the Bronx, but I could feel myself getting burned and could even see how red my shoulders were getting, so I decided to call it a day. I did pass a woman displaying some art she makes on the way home, though. One piece in particular really struck me. It was a tree of life and death that she made with little trinkets and pieces actually added to the painting (all of her work was like this). I absolutely loved it. But I cannot bring myself to spend 350 Euros on it. However, if anyone wants to know what to get me for Christmas... Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment